This recipe is one of many I have tried and I could honestly say it is the BEST RECIPE for hummus (recipe from cookieandkate.com). The end result is a creamy dip that is smooth, light and fluffy. A healthy snack that can be served anytime with crunchy vegetable sticks or some pita bread.
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 cloved of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ cup tahini
- 4 tbsp. ice water
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- This is the most important step and one that I believe makes the final product different to all others I have tried. Place the chickpeas in a pot with enough water to cover them, add the baking soda, bring it to the boil, then turn the flame down and let simmer for 20 minutes. This will make sure the chickpeas are really mushy and over cooked, so when they are blended, they will be nice and smooth.
- Meanwhile, place the minced garlic, lemon juice and salt together in a processor and let sit 10 minutes. Add tahini and blend, adding 2tbsp. of cold water while the motor is running. Scrape down the food processor occasionally, and blend until the mixture is ultra smooth.
- Now wash and drain the chickpeas, add that and the cumin to the food processor. While blending drizzle in the olive oil. Have a look at the mixture. If it is still thick, add another 1-2 tbsp. of cold water.
- Taste and adjust as necessary.
There you have it, serve with another drizzle of olive oil or a sprinkle of paprika. Enjoy!